Thursday 8 October 2009

Daniel Tammet

Daniel Paul Tammet was born in 31 January of 1979 in London. He can learn a language in seven days and he holds the Guinnes record for memory 22.514 digits of pi.

He suffers synaesthesia, what means he can “smell” colours, “see” sounds or things like that. For example he has described his visual image of 289 as particularly ugly, 333 as particularly attractive, and pi as beautiful. The number 6 apparently has no distinct image.

He speaks twelve languages (English, Finnish, French, German, Lithuanian, Spanish, Urdu, Estonian, Romanian, Icelandic, Welsh and Esperanto). He also is creating a new language called Mänti wich have many sounds that comes from Slavic languages.

4 comments:

  1. Roberto,
    Please revise the first sentence you have written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing: He can learn a language in seven days... I wish i could do it.
    What I don't understand is how he is able to smell colours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I too wish that I could learn a language so easily, then in the future I would have no problems when I would want to find a job...
    But, he "smells" colours? and he "sees" sounds, that is something I can't seem to get my head around...
    But anyways, it is still AMAIZING

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how many people can speak Mänti... :O

    And by the way, I totally agree with Mr.Tammet... Can't imagine anything uglier than number 289...! :P

    ReplyDelete